One Great Street: Teramachi-dori
The historic thoroughfare of Teramachi-dori is lined with sophisticated galleries, old-time bookshops and cool clothiers. Stroll the stretch between Shijo and Sanjo streets to find an eclectic mix of high-street brands and centuries-old businesses.
- Kamiji Kakimoto: Pick up kizukigami, paper handmade from tree bark, and colorful washi paper, some specifically made for printers.
- Kyoto Antique Center: (Teramachi Nijo agaru) This cluster of vintage shops brings together curiosities and historic artifacts like netsuke, miniature sculptures traditionally hung from cords on a kimono sash.
- Unsodo has been sharing the art of woodblock printing and old-fashioned bookbinding with paper lovers since 1891.
- Kyukyodo: A calligraphy supply specialist with a rich incense selection and super kawaii (cute) stationery made with traditional paper.
- Ippodo: Taste the subtle flavors and terroirs of green tea at this atmospheric spot. ippodo-tea.co.jp/en/shop/kyoto.html
- Kameya Yoshinaga: This fifth-generation confectionery is famous for its delicate rice cakes. kameya-yoshinaga.com
- Smart Coffee: Inside the Teramachi Shopping Arcade, you’ll find this retro-cool kissaten, a Japanese-style café serving egg sandwiches and custardy hotcakes since 1932.
- Mishima Tei: For sukiyaki, the sweet stew cooked in a hot pot, this is the destination. mishima-tei.co.jp
- Honnoji Temple: Across from City Hall, this temple promises an hour of contemplation. kyoto-honnouji.jp
Plan Your Visit to Kyoto
The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto
Experience a modern take on time-honored Japanese traditions.
- Nestled on the banks of the Kamogawa
- 180-degree Higashiyama mountain views
- The most spacious guestrooms in Kyoto